Juvederm®, one of the most recent hyaluronic acid filler approved by the FDA, helps to fill aging lines or wrinkles, enhance the lip border and size and shape of the lips as well as minimize the appearance of some acne and surgical scars. Correct placement and amount of dermal fillers add a more refreshed and youthful look.
Juvederm’s popularity comes from its natural feel. Once injected, it is often indistinguishable from your natural tissue. Juvederm is a “soft” clear gel filler with extraordinary flow properties which makes it an ideal filler material for areas around the mouth and lips. It is especially suited for those with thinner skin who otherwise might not have results that look “real”.
Juvederm is derived from a natural substance, hyaluronic acid, which is found throughout the human body. Sensitivity testing is not required as the hyaluronic acid is so similar to your own tissue.
There have been several hyaluronic acid fillers on the market in the past several years – the most well known being Restylane. Juvederm is very similar to Restylane and Perlane but has some differences in the structure. Our medical staff at Dermatology Group Southern California will help you choose the best product for the improvements you’re looking for.
Juvederm is used to improve and correct the following:
- Superficial forehead lines and crow’s feet (Also treated with Botox)
- Thinning lips (for increased volume – sometimes referred to as )
- Deep folds on the sides of the mouth – nasolabial folds (Also treated with Radiesse)
- Marionette lines
Juvederm comes in two formulations – Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus. This allows added choices in correcting everything from tiny lines around the mouth to more obvious wrinkles and lip augmentation.
It gives you several unique advantages:
- A natural, biodegradable gel that flows easily and smoothly into your skin
- Fills out the lines around your mouth and lips leaving a smooth and natural look and feel
- Clinical experience shows that it can last at least 12 months – and doesn’t have the occasionally lumpy, uneven results of some other HA fillers
- Suitable for all skin types and tones
- No pre-treatment skin test needed
- Two grades for light to severe wrinkles and contouring
- Immediate, visible results
- Very safe, with few side effects
- Naturally based, highly purified, and biodegradable
Injection Pre-Treatment Tips
- Avoid blood thinners, anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen, herbal medications, vitamin E and aspirin 5 days prior to treatment. Do not stop any recommended medications, but do be sure to inform our office of any prescriptive or over the counter medications you are using.
- Try to eat prior to lip treatments. Waiting for several hours after your lip injections allows the Juvederm to properly integrate into the tissues.
- No alcohol for 24 hours and No workout or strenuous activity that increases blood pressure for the rest of the day – this helps prevent bruising
- Wait at least an hour before applying makeup
- Avoid excessive facial expressions for several hours
- Do not rub or massage the area for 24 hours
Possible Normal Side Effects
Some minor redness and swelling may last for 1-2 days. There is a risk of bruising which is only temporary. Swelling following lip augmentation is more frequent and should be expected but subsides quickly. With this in mind, understand that your lips may appear to be larger than the desired end result. Swelling will resolve within two to three days and lips will have their final sculpted look.
Juvéderm® provides effect for up to 6 months and for some patients and area use may last longer. This effect varies depending on the type of skin, areas, and amounts injected.
The Juvederm plus Botox Combination
Botox® is an ideal companion treatment with fillers. By using Botox along with your wrinkle fillers, they’ll both last longer. It appears that by minimizing muscle contraction with Botox, the effects from your filler injections last longer.
Visit the official site for additional information and Juvederm photos.
When you need more than Juvederm
Juvederm is an outstanding filler product, but sometimes the areas in which you need improvement require a denser formulation. Some deeper creases, particularly deep nasolabial folds, are better corrected by Radiesse. Radiesse has been shown to last a year or more. We will often use a long lasting deep tissue filler such as Radiesse in combination with Juvederm, using Juvederm as the “top” layer to completely resolve the full depth of a facial fold and surface wrinkling.
When facial volume loss is a problem, then Sculptra may be used. This unique product triggers natural collagen production over time, taking the place of some of the facial fat lost through aging or facial hollowness that has a genetic source.
Botox for frown lines and worry lines
Titan for skin tightening
Mixto fractional laser resurfacing for renewed skin texture, fine lines and pigmentation correction
Cosmelan for difficult to manage hyperpigmentation and brown spots
Chemical Peels for fine surface lines and improved skin texture
IPL for improving sun damaged skin
Pulsed light treatments for spider veins